Sep 11, 2014

Summer Vacation

September already? The summer was too short, as always. Got to wonder where it goes. 

I spent most of it working. Some of the stories that stick in my mind include two parents searching for their missing daughter, concerns about a new policy for ESL teachers, and pro wrestling (which included a crash course in arm locks). This August I took a crash course in sailing as well. I sailed many summers in my teens. It was wonderful to get back on the water at Bedford Basin Yacht Club. I kept running all summer and explored some new trails around Halifax. I'll be doing another 5k in the MEC Race 4 at the end of this month. Also, I finally started working on how to throw a baseball properly. I mentioned this goal that I'd been procrastinating about to my friend A, who went and got me a baseball and also told me to look up Mo'ne Davis, the 13-year-old star Little League pitcher. Now that's throwing like a girl. 

For the Labour Day weekend I went up to northern Nova Scotia. My friend F told me long ago to get up to Cape D'Or. There is a cottage there that used to belong to the lighthouse keeper. Now it is a guesthouse. 

I kept the window open at night to hear the ocean on the rocks below the cliff. Sometimes you can hear it, and sometimes you can't. 

Two conflicting streams of tide come together at Cape D'Or. They call it the Dory Rips, and it was roaring away when I first arrived. I've never seen the ocean act like that anywhere else. The Dory Rips crashes especially when the tide is turning and you can see the waves churning just beyond the lighthouse point and the rocks. But sometimes - I think when the tide is fully in or out - it is silent at Cape D'Or. The "lighthouse keeper" and owner of the guesthouse is Darcy. 

We stood out after dinner and listened and it was absolutely quiet in the dark. He said sometimes he turns off the fridge and all the lights just so he can hear the silence better. That's how quiet it is; you can hear the refrigerator going when you're standing at the cliff. 

And on one day of the year, if the conditions are exactly right, you can look east across the Bay of Fundy and the sun comes up and sends a beam of light right through the split in Cape Split across to Cape D'Or. It only lasts for a minute, and you can only see it if there's no haze or fog. In 15 years at the lighthouse Darcy has only seen it twice. The day is around August 29 or so. I missed it by two days, though with the fog I wouldn't have seen it anyway. But it was charming and quiet and lovely, and I'm glad I made it up there at last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment