Jul 21, 2014

The Laughing Heart

Last week I threw a party. It was a no-reason party, a let's-celebrate-because-we-can party. A dozen people came. We ate off mismatched plates and drank the wine from mason jars and used every last spoon in the drawer. Everyone had a good time.

My friend E stopped to look at my fridge. Many people look at my fridge for entertainment when they come over. This is my fridge.


E found a poem tacked to the fridge and got rather excited and came over and said, "I used to have that poem written down in the front of a book, but I lost it and I never knew its name or the author, and here it is on your fridge!" This is the poem.

The Laughing Heart

your life is your life 
don't let it be clubbed into dank submission. 
be on the watch. 
there are ways out. 
there is a light somewhere. 
it may not be much light but 
it beats the darkness. 
be on the watch. 
the gods will offer you chances. 
know them. 
take them. 
you can't beat death but 
you can beat death in life, sometimes. 
and the more often you learn to do it, 
the more light there will be. 
your life is your life. 
know it while you have it. 
you are marvelous 
the gods wait to delight 
in you.

Charles Bukowski

I asked E how she came to lose the book. She said, "I had a friend who was going through a rough time, and she seemed to need it more than me. So I gave it to her." I said things we love tend to come back around. Maybe that didn't make sense. Maybe it wasn't, in the strictest sense, true. But we were happy and it felt true at the time. 

So anyway, here it is. I'm posting it for someone who needs it more than I do. Be on the watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment