Apr 8, 2014

Running

Of all the springs I could have chosen, I picked this miserable, bitter, storm-ridden season to learn to run. Questionable judgement.
I started on a day when it was -11 with a windchill that made it feel like -24. I wore three layers, a toque, and mittens on top of gloves. I'm four weeks into the training and the weather isn't much better. I find myself running in cutting wind or rain three times a week. 
When it comes to a steady exercise regime like this, in the past I've always given up. But this time I've discovered the ultimate thing to motivate me. Back in March I called my friend Y and asked him to run the MEC Salt Marsh Trail 5K race with me. That happens on June 22. It would be an understatement to say he was surprised, but he said yes. 
Running 5K is a pretty big challenge for me but I think I'm on track to do it. I have a deadline, and if there's one thing I understand it's deadlines. 
I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Impressed. How many times a week do you run? For how long? I started taking a dance class for the first time in a long while this winter, and it has been so great in so many ways.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run three times a week, for about 30 minutes. I started slowly, alternating one minute running and one minute walking. By now I'm up to four minutes running and two minutes walking. I'm using an app called 5K runner ($2.99 from the Apple app store), and it talks to me to tell me when to speed up and when to slow down. Glad to hear you're back to dance - good for you!

      Delete